Winter greens soup
July 13th, 2020
CHEF, AUTHOR, TV PRESENTER AND CO-OWNER OF THE THREE BLUE DUCKS RESTAURANTS
- 2 litres beef bone broth
- 250g frozen peas
- 1 cup each finely sliced silverbeet and kale leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 2 green chillies, seeded (optional), chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1⁄2 bunch kale, stalks removed, leaves torn
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup (60g) crème fraîche
- 2 tbs horseradish cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Oil 2 large baking trays and line with baking paper.
- For the kale chips, rub kale in oil and spread on prepared trays. Bake, checking regularly, for 15 minutes or until crisp, then set aside until needed.
- For the horseradish cream, combine ingredients and 2 tbs water in a bowl. Cover and chill until needed.
- Bring broth to the boil in a large saucepan. Combine peas, silverbeet, kale, parsley, mint, spring onion, chilli and garlic in a bowl. In batches, blitz broth and pea mixture together in a blender until smooth, and transfer to a clean saucepan.
- Bring soup to the boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Season and add lemon juice. Divide soup among bowls. Drizzle with horseradish cream and scatter with kale chips to serve.